Club History

THE HISTORY OF RUGBY IN EASTWOOD

Rugby has been played in Eastwood since the latter part of last century and although the club did not achieve first division status in Sydney until 1947 the district has a long Rugby history.

Prior to the First World War, a number of local sides existed playing in a local competition. The Eastwood side at this time played on an unfenced paddock bordering a dry creek bed which was used to provide some privacy for players changing before and after the game.

With the outbreak of the Great War, senior  Rugby was suspended with many of the players enlisting, a number paying the supreme sacrifice.

Following W.W.1, the strength of  Rugby in Eastwood was centred around the Eastwood Young Men’s Institute which fielded junior sides and a senior side in the Burke Cup from 1927.  This competition was next in importance to the Sydney Premiership Competition. Eastwood won the Burke Cup in this first year of competition.  Also in 1927 the Club moved to Eastwood Oval as its home ground where the Club remained until their move to T G Millner Field in 1963.

Following success in the Burke Cup in 1935 and the existence of other strong sub-senior clubs in the area a momentum was building to seek admission by Eastwood into the Sydney Senior Competition.

The outbreak of the Second World War in 1939 caused a deferral of this plan until 1946 when a successful application was made for inclusion in the Sydney Senior Competition from the beginning of the 1947 Season.  As a result, the Eastwood District Ruby Union Football Club was formed and it has played in the Senior Sydney Competition ever since.

Due to the foresight of our early administrators, the Club seized the opportunity in 1950 to purchase seven and a half acres of land at Eastwood. This was the beginning of what is now known as the T G Millner Complex.

The Club has won a number of minor grade and colts competitions over the years but did not win the 1st grade major premiership trophy until 1999. In an historic win, the Club won the Shute Shield for the first time by defeating  Sydney  University in the Grand Final.

Since then, Eastwood have participated in five Grand Finals winning the Tooheys New Cup (Premier Rugby Competition) in 2001 and 2002.

Since formation, the Club has produced numerous players who have worn the “Green and Gold” of  Australia. Recent Wallabies include. Benn Robinson Ben Alexander, Matt Dunning and Lachie Turner

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All